That was fun!!
This was the 6th iteration of this format, after Madrid an Brussels, we were back in Berlin to organise a new speeddating of selected startups and journalists.
Here are the main conclusions from journalists feedbacks to startups pitches:
- you only have 3 minutes to “convince” a journalist, make a good use of it, figure out quickly who is your interlocutor
- start with the “Why?”
- don’t focus all your pitch on your tech/product
- journalists need stories, give them emotion, talk about the personal aspect of your idea
- don’t do too long introduction
- build a personal relationship with the journalist, even in 3 minutes!
- have something to show, demonstrable (on the internet or physical), this is a faster and cleaner way to present your idea
- show your product/idea in an easy way to understand it quickly
- skip too much details, keep it simple
- know your competitors
- don’t mix advertisement and storytelling, come with interesting data
What startups say about it:
- very good exercise to train a startup to pitch a journalist
- how to tailor your pitch when you don’t know the journalist media affiliation
- learn how to surprise a journalist, they like it!
- journalists ask the right questions, right away!
A special Thanks to the journalists for their time and so valuable feedback!